Researching The Right Gym
If getting in shape is on your New Year’s resolution list, you should consider one very important detail before committing to getting healthy in 2020, researching the right gym.
In other words, between now and the new year, there will be a flood of different marketing tactics, incentives, and promos that are going to find their way in front of you. It is so important that you are able to identify what you value the most in a gym facility so you can make the best decision for yourself. When you know what you are looking for you will feel a sense of confidence and self-assurance when researching, and then investing your money, time, energy, and focus into a place that is going to support all of your personal goals and needs.
ADVICE FROM AUBS ON RESEARCHING
To help get you started, I’d like to share some of my own advice on successfully researching and choosing your new 2020 gym facility.
FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: MAKE A LIST
Start off by making a list of everything you are looking for in your new gym. For instance, are you looking for:
- Equipment types such as free weights/pin-loaded machines/resistance bands/cardio machines/TRX/CrossFit/powerlifting
- Services like personal training/group training/heartrate training/sports performance training/nutrition programming
- Classes: what types/styles of classes do you like?
- Hours: what hours work best for you?
- Size: do you prefer a gym with a small or large amount of members?
- Environment: are you looking for a modernized, trendy spot? Or do you prefer an old school vibe?
- Amenities: including locker rooms/showers/saunas/childcare/snack and smoothie bar/tanning/lounge areas/massage therapy/swimming pool
CHECK OUT THE REVIEWS
Do your research and find out what the community and visitors have to say. Review services are a convenient and easily accessible way to get a feel on your gym of interest!
- Look for reviews on social media accounts, Google, and Yelp!
- Don’t forget to check star ratings and comments
- Lastly, remember to read the review thoroughly. Some places receive poor ratings based off of something that doesn’t have much validity or was written by someone who is just plain sour. Always keep in mind that you don’t know the source it is coming from
KNOW WHERE YOUR MONEY IS GOING
- Make sure you look into every membership pricing option and what it covers
- Consider the options that work best for your budget
- Is the membership a monthly or yearly payment?
- Don’t be afraid to ask about discounts, specials, and health insurance benefits
- Check for fees related to enrollment, pausing, cancellation, quarterly or annual dues
TOUR THE FACILITY BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISIONS
- Do they have variation?
- What type of weight and cardio equipment does the gym offer? Is it all the same, or are there different options?
- Are there different class styles? Zumba, spin, yoga, HIIT?
- Do they offer areas specific to different training styles? Powerlifting, seniors, bodybuilding, women’s only, cross-fit?
- What is the staff like?
- Is every member greeted when they walk through the door?
- Was everyone personable and friendly, well-informed and professional?
- Did you receive individual attention during your tour?
- Get a feel for the environment → how does the facility look and feel?
- Demographics (age/gender)
- Is it comfortable and welcoming?
- Ask about amenities, perks, events, and community involvement
- Aside from basic gym conveniences, what does the facility offer?
- Are there perks such as birthday/sign-up anniversary/complimentary consults/free classes?
- In addition to perks, check to see if the gym hosts any events during the year for members
- Is the gym involved in the community? (fundraisers/partnerships/volunteering/health and wellness fairs/sponsorships)
There is a lot that goes into building a facility that can accommodate, support, and provide for a diverse base of clientele. I hope as you begin to think about and set your 2020 health goals that you focus on what you need to do to reach those. Make finding the right gym a priority and start your research now.
As a result, you might be surprised how easy reaching your goals become when you are in the right environment!
Aubree “Aubs” Shofner
Fitness & Nutrition Professional
Jada Blitz Fitness